The Atumashi Kyaung, whose name means “Incomparable Monastery”, is one of the last religious construction projects of King Mindon.
This building was part of the palace complex and was used as an apartment by King Mindon and his chief queen.
The structure burned down in 1890 after a fire and was restored more than a century after.
Although Atumashi Kyaung is now only a pale shadow of its original form, the ruined building is still impressive. The building is most famous for the intricate wood carving. Each massive pillar is a single trunk of teak still showing remnants of vermillion, lacquer, gold and filigree decoration. The carved panels inside are still in excellent condition.
Near the base of Mandalay Hill, beside Shwenandaw Kyaung.