Register +84-979-406-301

Con Dao Prison

con dao prison, far east vacation
Con Dao Prison

Con Dao Prison (Vietnamese: Nhà tù Côn Đảo), also Con Son Prison, is a prison on Con Son Island (also known as Con Lon) the largest island of the Con Dao archipelago in Ba Ria – Vung Tau. The prison was built in 1861 by the French colonists to jail those considered especially dangerous to the colonist government. Many of the high ranking leaders of Vietnam were detained here. It is ranked a special historical relic of national importance by the government of Vietnam. The most famous site in this prison is “tiger’s cage”. The prison covers an area of 5,475 square metres, of which the area of cell is 1408 square metres, sunbath room covers 1873 square metres and other space covers 2194 square metres. The prison includes 120 cells. The prison was closed after the country united and just opened for visitors later.

In 1861, the French colonial government established a prison on the island to house political prisoners. In 1954, it was turned over to the South Vietnamese government, who continued to use it for the same purpose. Notable prisoners held at Con Son in the 1930s included Pham Van Dong and Le Duc Tho. Not far from the prison is Hang Duong Cemetery, where some of the prisoners were buried.