- Drop in on a local family and gain an insight into local life, past and present.
- Visit the former Viet Minh underground stronghold at Cu Chi.
- Get a great insight into the tenacity and resourcefulness of the Vietnamese people.
- Delve into an underground world of guerilla warfare in the incredible Cu Chi Tunnels.
Leaving the hustle and bustle of Saigon behind we journey 2 hours west towards the Cambodian border bound for the Cu Chi Tunnels. Before arriving at the tunnels visit some local friends and gain an insight into local life in the area, both past and present. Learn about their lives, culture and customs and get an insight into the recent past through local eyes.
Continue onto the Cu Chi tunnels were built by local fighters during the Indochina conflict as a base from which the Viet Cong could operate from close to the Southern Vietnamese capital. The location proved of significant strategic importance, at the end of the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail and within striking distance of the southern Vietnam capital. Initial construction started in 1948 when the Viet Minh required somewhere to hide from French air attacks and by 1965, the tunnel complex was estimated to consist of 250km’s of tunnels. It included, hospitals, schools, meeting rooms, kitchens and sleeping quarters. Life was difficult for the inhabitants and to protect against outside intruders bobby traps were laid throughout the complex. Today the Vietnamese government has preserved approximately 75 kilometers of the tunnels as a memorial park, in some areas tunnels have been widened and low powered lights installed so that western tourists can now fit through the complex.
Our local guide will take us on a fascinating trip around the Cu Chi Tunnels where we learn more about the conditions the people lived in, the hardships they faced and the amazing ingenuity employed to maintain life in the tunnels. We walk past huge bomb craters, evidence of the heavy bombing campaigns in the region during the Indochina conflict, discover hidden entrances right beneath your feet, wander past tiny little chimneys in the ground that dispersed smoke from the underground kitchens, sample some of the simple cuisine that local fighters would have survived on and have an opportunity to venture into the tunnels and explore the complex.
Following our step back in modern history we return to the chaos of Saigon. This vacation is one of the best Vietnam Vacations. End trip organized by Far East Vacation
- English speaking guide.
- Private transport.
- Entrance fees as indicated.
- Bottle water & tissue.
Voucher exchange details
- Please show your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the tour.
Confirmation of booking
- It is very important to please email us to confirm your pick up hotel at least 24 hours prior to departure. This confirmation helps to avoid delays in our departure.
- Dress standards are conservative, especially outside major cities. To respect this and for your own comfort, we strongly recommend modest clothing. This means clothing that covers your shoulders and knees. Loose, lightweight, long clothing is both respectful and cool in the predominantly hot Hanoi climate.
- Children must be between 6 and 11 years of age inclusive.
- If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides and drivers a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Far East Vacation destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
GET IN TOUCH
Talk to one of our Travel Experts to learn more about this itinerary and get all the answers you need